Update: Death toll in residential building collapse in Jordan rises to 8

AMMAN, Sept. 14– The death toll in a residential building collapse in Jordan’s capital Amman on Tuesday rose to eight, the Public Security Department said in a statement Wednesday. The Director of Civil Defense Brigadier General Hatem Jaber told Xinhua Wednesday that rescue teams are still operating at full capacity to reach all people under the rubble.

AMMAN, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) — The death toll in a residential building collapse in Jordan’s capital Amman on Tuesday rose to eight, the Public Security Department (PSD) said in a statement Wednesday.

Rescue work is still going on, the PSD added, noting that an infant and an injured person in his 50s were pulled out from the rubble of the collapsed building and transferred to the hospital.

So far, 16 people have been injured due to the collapse, the state-run Petra news agency reported.

The Director of Civil Defense Brigadier General Hatem Jaber told Xinhua Wednesday that rescue teams are still operating at full capacity to reach all people under the rubble.

Also Wednesday, the Amman Prosecutor General ordered the detention of three people pending investigation in the building collapse case.

The three include the person responsible for supervising the property, a maintenance supervisor and a maintenance technician, Petra reported.

King Abdullah II of Jordan on Wednesday directed PSD Director Major General Obaidallah Maaytah to ensure the utmost efforts to continue rescuing those trapped under the rubble. Enditem

ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.