People aged 50 and older offered second COVID-19 booster dose in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, June 6– South Africa’s health department officials announced that people aged 50 and older will be eligible for a second booster dose of Pfizer vaccine from Monday. All people in this age group who have received either Pfizer or Johnson& Johnson COVID-19 vaccine at least 120 days or four months prior may receive the additional booster.

JOHANNESBURG, June 6 (Xinhua) — South Africa’s health department officials announced that people aged 50 and older will be eligible for a second booster dose of Pfizer vaccine from Monday.

All people in this age group who have received either Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine at least 120 days or four months prior may receive the additional booster.

“This is part of efforts by the government to increase vaccine uptake to achieve population immunity while protecting the most vulnerable groups, especially those living with comorbidities such as diabetes, and hypertension,” department’s spokesperson Foster Mohale said Monday. “The Pfizer vaccine has shown to be safe and effective for boosting immunity in older persons who remain at highest risk of severe disease and death from COVID-19.”

More than 7 million of nearly 20 million adults who have been vaccinated in the country so far are aged 50 and older, according to the health department. With the launch of FindMyJab.co.za, the Department in conjunction with Right-to-Care has made it easier for anyone to locate a vaccination site using a smartphone, laptop, tablet, etc.

“We applaud older people for coming forward in large numbers and we encourage all individuals who have not had their second dose or booster dose to go to their nearest vaccination site,” Mohale said.

According to the statistics released by the Department of Health Sunday, within the last 24 hours, 1,127 new COVID-19 cases were identified in South Africa, bringing the total number of laboratory-confirmed cases up to 3,968,205. Enditem

ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.