Thousands rally to support Congo's threatened Nobel Laureate
BUKAVU, Democratic Republic of Congo- A city in eastern Congo has rallied in support of Denis Mukwege, the Congolese Nobel Laureate who received death threats in recent weeks after he called for justice over serious human rights violations. Mukwege has won international recognition, including the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize, for his decades of work treating female…
By Crispin Kyala
BUKAVU, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) – A city in eastern Congo has rallied in support of Denis Mukwege, the Congolese Nobel Laureate who received death threats in recent weeks after he called for justice over serious human rights violations.
On Thursday his supporters snaked through the streets of Bukavu, the lakeside home of the doctor who has helped thousands of survivors of sexual violence, honking motorcycle horns, singing and waving signs like “Don’t touch our Nobel Prize.”
Mukwege has won international recognition, including the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize, for his decades of work treating female victims conflict in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Last week the United Nations said his life was in danger after he and his family received death threats via social media and by phone.
Alongside his medical work at Panzi hospital in Bukavu, Mukwege has long been an advocate for prosecuting armed groups responsible for the endemic sexual violence in eastern Congo.
“Our sisters in the forest got raped and ruined. Some completely lost their wombs, and some carried their wombs in their hands,” said Safina Kusimwa, one of the demonstrators.
“Mukwege put all his efforts into rescuing these women… we do not want to see this. They should leave him in peace.”
On August 24 he commemorated the anniversary of a 1998 massacre in Kasika where, he said in a statement, “more than a thousand civilians, including many women as well as children and babies” were killed, and “most of the women were raped, tortured, and had their genitals mutilated.”
“Without truth and justice there will be no lasting peace in DR Congo and neither the victims nor the torturers will be able to rebuild a peaceful future for future generations,” Mukwege said.
On Thursday the marchers called on the government to protect Mukwege, who narrowly survived an assassination attempt in 2012.
(Reporting by Crispin Kyala; Writing by Hereward Holland; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.