S.Arabia sentences 7 Islamist militants to death over killings of Shi'ites
RIYADH, Sept 2- A Saudi court has sentenced seven Islamic State militants to death over a 2014 shooting attack that killed eight Shi’ite Muslims near the eastern city of al-Ahsa, state television reported on Wednesday. Sunni militants have carried out many shootings and bombings in Saudi Arabia since 2014, soon after the then- Islamic State leader, Abu Bakr…
RIYADH, Sept 2 (Reuters) – A Saudi court has sentenced seven
Islamic State militants to death over a 2014 shooting attack
that killed eight Shi’ite Muslims near the eastern city of
al-Ahsa, state television reported on Wednesday.
In November 2014, three suspected members of the SunniMuslim jihadist group opened fire on Shi’ites who werecelebrating Ashura, a holy festival in their calendar, in thevillage of Dalwa, killing eight people there.
Seven defendants were sentenced to death after theirconviction while three others were handed 25-year jail termseach, the Ekhbariya channel said on Twitter.
Sunni militants have carried out many shootings and bombingsin Saudi Arabia since 2014, soon after the then-Islamic Stateleader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, summoned Saudi supporters to mountattacks at home instead of abroad in wars in Syria and Iraq.
Most of the attacks targeted minority Saudi Shi’ites orstate security officers, and were carried out by people who hadsworn allegiance to Islamic State or were claimed by themilitant group in online postings, Saudi authorities said.
Saudi Arabia had earlier barred its citizens from going towage jihad (holy war) abroad, used its Sunni clergy to denounceIslamic State, imposed prison terms for supporting the group andjoined U.S.-led air strikes against IS in Syria.
(Reporting by Marwa Rashad; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.