Motor racing-No qualms about Ferrari move, says Sainz

MONZA, Italy, Sept 3- Spanish driver Carlos Sainz said on Thursday he had no qualms about moving from McLaren to Ferrari next year after the Italian’s team’s struggles this season. Formula One managing director Ross Brawn wrote in a column this week that the 26- year-old “must be nervous about his prospects” after Ferrari’s dismal showing in Belgium last weekend.

MONZA, Italy, Sept 3 (Reuters) – Spanish driver Carlos Sainz said on Thursday he had no qualms about moving from McLaren to Ferrari next year after the Italian’s team’s struggles this season.

Formula One managing director Ross Brawn wrote in a column this week that the 26-year-old “must be nervous about his prospects” after Ferrari’s dismal showing in Belgium last weekend.

Sainz, who will be replacing four times world champion Sebastian Vettel at Maranello, told reporters in a video news conference at Ferrari’s home Italian Grand Prix that, given the option, he would sign up 100 times over.

“I’m very comfortable with the decision I’ve taken,” he emphasised. “I’m 100% confident in Ferrari’s people and in what they can do for the future.

“Let’s just remember that last year they were capable of doing seven pole positions so it’s a team that I think knows how to produce very good cars.”

Sainz said what made him nervous was to lose 30 points in races for no fault of his own, with the Spaniard unable to start in Belgium due to a power unit problem.

He is 22 points behind British team mate Lando Norris after seven races, but still two places ahead of Vettel in the standings.

“I’m fully confident, I’m ready to go for Ferrari next season and I cannot be more excited,” said the Spaniard.

“I think going to Ferrari is such a unique experience and such a special place for a Formula One driver that I don’t think there’s ever going to be a bad time where you say, ‘I do not want to go to Ferrari’.” (Reporting by Alan Baldwin; editing by Ken Ferris)

ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.