French Foreign Minister Calls on Washington to Lift Sanctions on ICC Senior Officials
PARIS, September 3- US sanctions against International Criminal Court’s senior officials are a gross violation of the Rome Statute that created the tribunal, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Thursday, urging Washington to lift the measures. On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that prosecutor Fatou Bensouda from the Gambia and…
PARIS, September 3 (Sputnik) – US sanctions against International Criminal Court’s (ICC) senior officials are a gross violation of the Rome Statute that created the tribunal, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Thursday, urging Washington to lift the measures.
On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that prosecutor Fatou Bensouda from the Gambia and the Head of the Jurisdiction, Complementarity and Cooperation Division, Phakiso Mochochoko from Lesotho, had been added to the Office of Foreign Assets Control’s Specially Designated Nationals List.
“The measures announced on September 2 constitute a serious attack on the court and the state parties to the Rome Statute and, in addition, jeopardize the multilateralism and independence of the judiciary,” Le Drian said in a statement.
The minister added that France reaffirmed its support for the ICC and its staff.
“France calls on the United States to reverse the announced measures,” the statement read.
In March, the ICC authorized the commencement of an investigation into alleged war crimes committed by parties to the conflict in Afghanistan, including US personnel. In response, on June 11, US President Donald Trump issued an executive order authorizing sanctions against ICC officials.
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.