Police say the gunman had been dating one of the victims for a year and there was tension between him and his girlfriend’s family following a get-together the previous week.
PRETORIA, May 12 (ANA) – A gunman who killed six people before shooting himself at a birthday party in Colorado Springs in the United States was upset that he was not invited, the BBC quoted police as saying on Wednesday.
The British broadcaster reported that police said Teodoro Macias, 28, fatally shot his girlfriend, Sandra Ibarra-Perez, 28, and five relatives before turning the gun on himself.
Three children, aged 2, 5 and 11, witnessed the shooting but were not physically harmed, the BBC added.
The shooting took place on Sunday at the Canterbury mobile home park, where families had gathered in one trailer to celebrate, a statement posted on the Colorado Springs Police Department website said.
ABC News quoted Lieutenant Joe Frabbiele as telling reporters at a news conference that Macias had been dating Ibarra-Perez for a year and there was tension between him and her family following a get-together the previous week.
Frabbiele said that the investigation was ongoing, but police were able to determine the suspect’s alleged motive based on interviews with family members and phone communications between Macias and Ibarra-Perez.
“There were no previous reported domestic violence incidents between the two, but family members said he had a history of controlling and jealous behaviour, including trying to prevent her from attending family events, according to police,” Frabbiele said.
Fox 8 News said a neighbour, Gladis Bustos, tearfully recalled the home’s owner, whom she identified as Joana, as a warm-hearted, hard-working person who always took the time to say hello to her neighbours.
“She was an incredibly pleasant woman, very beautiful, happy all the time. She loved to chat. And she was very proud of her family.
“We’re all in shock, how can this happen here? This is all so painful, so devastating, so overwhelming,” Bustos said.
– African News Agency (ANA); Editing by Yaron Blecher
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.