Following the plea from Afghanistan officials to the international community to assist the Afghan people, the United Nations has stepped forward and released US$45 million in emergency funds.
CAPE TOWN, September 23 (ANA) – Following the plea from Afghanistan officials to the international community to assist the Afghan people, the United Nations has stepped forward and released US$45 million in emergency funds.
The UN’s under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief co-ordinator, Martin Griffiths, said in a statement on Wednesday that the funds were in aid of life-saving support after the nation’s health-care system plunged when the Taliban regained control last month.
The emergency relief funds come as Afghanistan faces many hurdles after international donors such as the World Bank and the European Union froze their funding.
“Allowing Afghanistan’s health-care delivery system to fall apart would be disastrous,” said Griffiths.
“The UN is determined to stand by the people of Afghanistan in their hour of need,” he said.
Griffiths added that while essential health-care workers were not being paid, medical supplies and medicines were also running out.
According to Al Jazeera, the funds will go through the UN’s health and children’s agencies, and with the help of partnered NGOs. They will allow hospitals and Covid-19 centres to remain open until the end of the year.
Various humanitarian organisations have also stepped up in aid of Afghanistan while warning of an impending humanitarian crisis.
Earlier this month, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) offered relief assistance in the form of food, shelter and Covid-19 vaccines.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeted that they will “continue to support the people of Afghanistan” and that they will ensure that the health gains of the past two decades were not lost.
– African News Agency (ANA); Editing by Yaron Blecher
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.