The former olympic athlete and reality TV star confirmed the news on her Twitter account earlier on Friday.
PRETORIA, 24 May (ANA) – Caitlyn Jenner has announced that she has filed the paperwork to run for California governor and aims to replace incumbent, Gavin Newsom, in an expected recall election later this year, according to reports.
On Friday, CNN reported that the former Olympic athlete and reality TV star is a long-time Republican and will be contesting in a Democratic stronghold state.
“I’m in! California is worth fighting for,” she wrote on her verified Twitter account.
“Our campaign will be powered by everyday Californians who deserve leadership that is accountable to them, not the special interests in Sacramento.”
Her bid is one of the most high profile campaigns by a transgender person in the the country.
According to the Axios news, Jenner who also starred in Keeping Up With the Kardashians, has put together a team that includes some of former president Donald Trump’s advisers.
“For too long, career politicians have over-promised and under-delivered. We need a leader with the vision and resolve to see it through,” she wrote on Twitter
Jenner said her campaign would be one of solutions and added that she wanted to provide a roadmap back to prosperity.
She said that she will formally launch her campaign at a later date.
“Gavin Newsom is so threatened by our campaign that he’s trying to fundraise off my announcement instead of focusing on doing his actual job,” Jenner wrote on Twitter.
“This is what entrenched politicians do. They play politics instead of doing what’s right for the people of California.”
According to The Guardian UK, The recall effort against Newsom was spearheaded by Republicans in California who opposed the governor’s Covid-era business shutdowns, as well as his immigration and tax policies.
BBC said a recall election in the state could be confirmed this month after a petition against Newsom reached the number required to trigger a vote.
CNN said recall proponents indicated that they collected 2.1 million signatures, more than the nearly 1.5 million needed to get the recall on the ballot.
– African News Agency, Editing by Devereaux Morkel
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.