The event in Liverpool will welcome 6,000 clubbers across two nights.
PRETORIA, 1 May (ANA) – The first nightclub event in Britain since lockdown commenced more than a year ago in response to the Covid-19 pandemic has taken place in Liverpool with revellers free from face masks and the requirement for physical distancing, the BBC reported.
Some 6,000 night-clubbers are being allowed to return to the dance floor for a two night pilot event only for those living in Liverpool, the public broadcaster said on Friday, adding that ticket holders would have to produce a negative Covid-19 test result before being let in.
British scientists will use the exercise to gauge whether crowd mixing and dancing indoors increases transmission of the coronavirus which rapidly became a global pandemic after being first reported out of China in December 2019.
After partying, the club revellers have been encouraged to take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test five days afterwards, to make sure any spread of the virus is properly monitored.
The event is part of the national Events Research Programme which will provide data on how events for a range of audiences could be permitted to safely reopen as part of the roadmap out of lockdown, Sky News reported.
Public health expert Professor Iain Buchan, who is leading the research, told BBC Newsbeat that his team would use carbon dioxide monitors to detect pockets of stale air in the venue.
“There will be also be small cameras for the scientists to monitor people’s movements,” Buchan said.
Speaking to British evening newspaper Express & Star, 20-year-old Sam Murphy said said after starting at Liverpool Hope University, he had had the worst fresh year ever because of Covid-19 restrictions. Even tearing ligaments in his foot and having to wear a protective boot had not deterred him from attending the nightclub event, he told the paper.
Eighteen-year-old Leah Lawless said she and her friends had been waiting to return to clubs for around a year.
“We are very excited. It’s been hard, it’s been boring, a bit sad, depressing and not the best,’’ Lawless told the Express & Star.
– African News Agency (ANA), Editing by Stella Mapenzauswa
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.