Australia had initially based its national vaccination rollout on the AstraZeneca drug, but has now joined various other countries in restricting its use.
CAPE TOWN, April 9 (ANA) – Australia has secured 40 million doses of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced following a cabinet meeting on Friday.
According to The Guardian, the vaccines will arrive later this year. The announcement comes after Australia urged the European Union to supply an outstanding 3.1 million AstraZeneca doses it has not yet received.
“We’re going to work through the implications of this most recent medical advice for the calibration of the rollout,” Morrison told reporters.
“It is not a prohibition on the AstraZeneca vaccine … for those who are over 50, there is a strong encouragement to be taking this AstraZeneca vaccine.”
On Thursday, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) released a statement on the country’s national health website to suspend the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine due to increasing risks involving blood clots with low platelet counts.
Australia had initially based its national vaccination rollout on the AstraZeneca shots, but is now joining several other countries in restricting its use.
“ATAGI has very carefully considered the latest vaccination findings out of Europe and the UK – which follow extremely rare instances of people, having taken the AstraZeneca vaccine, developing a very specific syndrome involving blood clots,” the advisory group said.
“The syndrome is called “thrombosis with thrombocytopenia.”
ATAGI added that people who had received the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine without any serious adverse effects could be given the second shot.
Meanwhile, several publications reported that aged care workers from South Australia as well as Melbourne’s east who had received their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine were being turned away from getting their second jab.
The staff who formed part of the high-priority category in the national vaccination rollout were meant to have their second doses administered within three weeks of the first, but officials said supply had been a major challenge.
– African News Agency (ANA), Edited by Stella Mapenzauswa
ANA NEWS WIRE Disclaimer:
The African News Agency (ANA) is a news wire service and therefore subscribes to the highest standards of journalism as it relates to accuracy, fairness and impartiality.
ANA strives to provide accurate, well sourced and reliable information across Text, Images and Video. Where errors do appear, ANA will seek to correct these timeously and transparently.
The ANA platform also contains news and information from third party sources. ANA has sought to procure reliable content from trusted news sources but cannot be held responsible for the accuracy and opinions provided by such sources on the ANA platform or linked sites.
The content provided for on the ANA News Wire platform, both through the ANA news operation and via its third party sources, are for the sole use of authorised subscribers and partners. Unauthorised access to and usage of ANA content will be subject to legal steps. ANA reserves its rights in this regard.
ANA makes every effort to ensure that the website is up and running smoothly at all times, however ANA does not take responsibility for, and will not be held liable for times when the website is temporarily unavailable due to technical issues that are beyond our control.